When many people think of life, they think of something expansive that last multiple decades. They see dream jobs, pets, people, places they want to go. But generally, they see themselves happy and healthy. That is the standard that people strive towards. If you take away health and/or happiness though, things change. You start to feel like you are failing at life because you can’t reach the major life goals that you set out for yourself.
This really shouldn’t be the case.
See, when happiness or health are at stake, we need to shift our priorities towards the short-term. Life goals don’t need to be long-term. What are the smaller things you can do to make your life better? What can you measurably, realistically achieve in the next month? Three months? Six months? Stop looking so far ahead, and look at the now.
Try to make a list tonight. See if you can come up with 10 short-term life goals with which to dedicate yourself.
To spark your brain and get your juices flowing , I collected ideas on achievable short-term goals.
- Get out of bed in the morning.
- Eat 3 meals a day, preferably health conscientious meals.
- Take at least 1 hour every week for myself.
- Spend the extra 20 minutes a day taking the scenic route to work.
- Set a monthly cardio goal
- Go to the doctor. I know it is a pain to go, but it is necessary.
- Cut out unnecessary spending.
- Keep a journal. Write in it every day.
- Say 1 nice thing out loud to/about myself in the morning.
- Savor my food instead of eating too fast.
- Walk 10,000 steps a day.
- I will pick up 1 piece of trash, that is not my own, every hour that I’m awake.
- Limit the amount of time that I am on social media this week.
- Read 1 book a month.
- Don’t wear makeup 3 days a week.
- Say “I love you” to three people today.
- Go to therapy. It may not be fun or easy, but it will make me better in the long run.
- Sleep 8 hours a night.
I am not the greatest example. I recognize that. I slip up on my goals all the time. But, I want to remind you that you are human. I am human. We all have moments of weakness slip ups. Don’t judge yourself too harshly if you don’t achieve your goals. Just know that you are capable of greatness. A little bit at a time.