Originally posted on Love, Geeky Girl
By: Dani Kessel
We all need a pick-me-up once in a while. I’ve personally been going through a lot lately. It seems hard to smile some days. I’m sure a lot of you reading this feel the same way too. If you are going through a really hard time and can’t seem to get your mind off the stress, take a break to read these random and smile-inducing facts.
- Otters have a favorite rock that they hold in their pouch.
- Blood donors in Sweden get a text message every time their blood is used to help someone.
- Astronaut Gene Cernan carved his daughter’s initials “TDC” into the surface of the moon.
- An individual strand of spaghetti is called a spaghetto.
- Scotland has over 400 words for snow.
- Charlie Chaplin entered a Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest and lost.
- Macaques in Japan will steal your snacks. (It actually happened to me.)
- A cat named Mr. Stubbs was the mayor of an Alaskan town for 17 years.
- The US has more public libraries than McDonalds.
- Hug your friends because friendly physical contact boosts oxytocin and serotonin!
- It takes fewer muscles to smile than it does to frown.
- The plastic tip at the end of a shoelace is called an aglet.
- Canada consumes the largest amount of donuts out of any country in the world.
- If you blend a sea sponge, it can completely reform into a whole sea sponge.
- Some window washers will dress up as superheroes when cleaning children’s hospitals to bring sick kids joy.
- Identical twin’s children are genetically half-siblings, not cousins.
- R2-D2 made a love connection with a fire hydrant on Sesame Street in the 80s.
- A group of flamingos is called a flamboyance.
- The voice of Mickey and Minnie got married in real life.
- Smallpox was completely eradicated (minus a sample in a lab) by the smallpox vaccine. The last known case was in 1977.
- Sunflowers directionally follow the sun as it moves across the sky.
- The largest sand castle in the world is a record 57 feet and 11 inches tall.
- Some mammoths were still alive while the Pyramids of Giza were being built.
- There is an actual professional rock-paper-scissors league.
- Green Eggs and Ham was written on a bet that Dr. Seuss couldn’t write a book in 50 words or less. It contains exactly 50 words.
- Mister Rogers received the honor of pouring the wax for the 100,000,000,000th Crayola crayon.
- Jackie Mitchell, one of the first professional female pitchers, struck out both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig all at the age of 17 years old.
- Fake it ‘til you make it actually is scientifically accurate. Forcing yourself to smile or laugh will release the same endorphins that a real smile or laugh does.
- The average IQ has risen by 20 points since 1950.
- The Roman emperor Caligula declared war on Neptune and had his soldiers stab the sea water. They collected seashells as a sign of “winning” the war.
There you go. I hope you cracked a smile while reading these facts!
Please remember that things will get better, even if they don’t feel like it right now. You will get through this, and there will always be things out there to make you smile.
Like and share this post to spread the joy around.
Visit LoveGeekyGirl.com for more great content every day!